Search This Blog

September 5, 2012

Is Teaching A Dying Profession?



Straight from my heart...

First of all I must confess that teaching was not my first choice. I took it up as I did not want to do long hours, coincide my holidays with my daughters and use my ability to connect with children of all age groups. But once I started teaching (Grade 3 to start with) the next 21 years were spent with different schools, in various capacities.

So why do I think it is a dying profession?

  • ·      Teaching as a profession does not get the respect and recognition that it deserves. In the name of ‘a noble profession’ the monetary gains from it are negligible (as compared to other professions). Till today I have not understood why it is felt that teachers have to be underpaid to be motivated to be surrounded by forty (average) children (not even their own) in a class for almost six hours a day. Do we think they will teach less passionately if they are paid well? No doubt it is a job of passion but for God’s sake pay them well for their efforts. It is no wonder that I have seen many young adults who join schools as a temp arrangement and quickly move on to BPOs or other such jobs which give them better salaries and perks.
  • ·         Most often heard from teachers - I can’t teach the way that I want to, and I find it extraordinarily difficult to teach in the ‘traditional’ manner which is assumed and seemingly expected by all around me.Schools have their set patterns and most often a fixed timetable where there really is no time to be innovative and experimental, as you are rushing with the portion completion, extra-curricular activities and also playing mother, philosopher, motivator, guide, counselor, coach, disciplinarian etc etc to not one but a class full of extra energetic children. This is leading to frustration and finding a job where there is desk with a computer tucked away in a quiet cubicle somewhere. 
  • ·         This profession not attracting new teachers. Okay tell me frankly ‘How many young adults do you know who have joined an educational institute to teach (full time, am not talking of guest lectures)?? The numbers will be negligible (if any). The talented are just not willing to invest their energy and passion in a field which has very few growth opportunities and poor remuneration. I have a huge circle of friends and I know of only three young people who have chosen to teach over other lucrative offers.
  • ·         It is turning out to be a thankless job. I promise you that if spend even an hour with someone who has kids the topic will change to ‘how the school is not as good as it was’, ‘nowadays the teachers are not doing their job well as their own teachers did’ etc in no time. People not in teaching ignore the facts or blame teachers for the shortage, lack of training, and the national malaise about teaching and learning. I have a question for them – If they think the teachers are no good have they ever encouraged their own children towards joining this profession? NO.. and they are may be justified because we all want our children to grow  up and earn a big fat pay-cheque (assuming that then their lives will be easier). It is like everyone wants good teachers but no one (barring a few) wants to be a good teacher. Ironical, isn’t it?


Had it not been for a few, this profession would already have been dead.  And to save it is our collective responsibility. Treat teachers with respect and dignity they deserve, take up their causes and difficulties to the school management as a parent and above all motivate your children to contribute to the profession of teaching.  Tell them about the joys of teaching, conveying a love of learning and discovery, and giving some one the tools they can use throughout their lives to make their own discoveries. 

Celebrate ‘Teacher’s Day’ everyday. Each one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment